Kendalia was first surveyed by D. W. Grady in 1883 for early settler Carl Gustav Vogel, who built a gin and gristmill at the town. In 1895 the post office records were transferred from Curry`s Creek to Kendalia.
Boerne Public School - class of 1908
School built 1874 This was the first school - all grades were taught together and was in German not English. Zoom into this photo to see the bare feet and Victorian clothing at the time.
Nicolaus Zink was the 1st settler in Kendall County. His community in the idyllic valley of Sister Creek became one of the famous `Latin Settlements`. The leader of these free-thinking farmers was Ottomar von Behr and the circle included, Ernst Kapp, August Siemering, Julius Dresel, Gustav Theisen, and Edward Degener.
The early German residents of Boerne would have their children first attend a local Catholic school for one or two years to be trained to learn about their religion. Holy Angels Academy began it's schooling in 1899. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word began the schools and also the medical facilities (sanitariums) in the Boerne area. This building was torn down in 1930.